Friday, July 11, 2008

the kids I teach

I find it more enjoyable teaching special children in the center I’m connected with right now than normal kids. I’m more patient with them than the normal ones.

One 9 year old Deaf kid would even gladly welcome me with a smile and an open arms when I arrive. I was handling him, teaching him sign language of the alphabets. He was a fast learner in puzzles though. He could assemble 2 combined parts of 24-pieces each and made it into 2 separate pictures without a guide picture. I’m not sure yet if he had already memorized it or he was just a fast learner with pictures. Haven’t made further tests yet.

jeamar, our deaf student

Another 6 year old Down Syndrome girl would even cling to my hands when its her time to go home. Would even have tantrums if I withdraw my hands. She would want to be hugged, lifted up, played around and wants to get our attention. We didn’t had much cognitive lessons on her, instead, we do some mild physical exercises for her.

charlyn, our crying student

And another 13 year old Down Syndrome student just wants to write and she writes legibly. She is now good with puzzles yet non-verbal, still. She likes to touch my nose and kiss my hand and cheeks. She is indeed sweet and thoughtful. She would even want to take care of her 10 year old autistic classmate. And is very picky, doesn’t want to use broken crayons. That’s how she is.

lm (left) helping khaye, her autistic classmate

It was indeed a worth-while experience being with them. They may be special kids but they strive to survive and learn the ways of this world.

No comments: