Friday, January 16, 2009

front seat view

Just got back from my trip to Medina, Misamis Oriental. Didn’t planned it. When I saw my cousin walking out of our room with her red Jansport bag, I had the urge to go with her to my mother’s hometown. I didn’t show it to my brothers and sister that I was really worried for my relatives’ safety and as well as also for our things in the back garage of my mother’s ancestral home. After asking permission from my parents, off we went to the bus terminal at minutes past 10AM.

Earlier, at 2AM, we were awaken by the news that waters flooded some parts of Medina, especially where our relatives lived. My cousins place were already in waist-deep water which started to rise at 1AM. What made us worried the most is their situation. Though their house were elevated, we were still worried for my cousin’s father who can’t move easily. If ever the water would rise and creep into their house, they have no choice but to stay behind and wait for the waters to subside. With my uncle is his wife, my auntie, and their 10 year old granddaughter. Who wouldn’t worry for them.

Text messages also came that water level from the river beside my mother’s ancestral house is rising since almost 12AM and the current is quite strong too. At minutes past 2AM, my uncle texted that electricity was already cut off and the river almost overflowed the dike beside our house. They had kept watch since the night before and had prepared for the waters. Blocking out any holes that the water could pass through. With my uncle is his wife, their 7 year old son and petite househelp. That was the last text we received. Who wouldn’t worry for them.

At 4AM, rain hadn’t stopped and strong wind blowing outside. Feeling cold, we wanted to have a hot bread and milk. Our only update about Medina were the text messages and calls put on air by I-FM. To divert our worries, my younger bro and cousin went for a walk with our 2 partly broken and 1 sturdy umbrellas and sweatshirts. The street was empty and water everywhere. We braced ourselves for much deeper water ahead. With some talks, we reached the bakery and bought hot pan de sal, such a relief from the cold. Instead of going back, we decided to proceed to the Carmen bridge as there were already reports that Isla de Oro was flooded again, as well as some parts of Macanhan and Carmen, specifically those along Cagayan River which overflowed again while consuming the pan de sal we bought. We failed to get some pictures or even cross the bridge, the wind was so strong we had to fought it with our umbrellas which by that time almost broke. It would not be worth it, we still had to go back and no commuter vehicles were plying the street yet. It was almost 6AM and yet it is still dark. At almost 7AM, my younger bro braved the wind and waters and went back to the bridge and affected areas to snap pictures. My cousin and I went back to sleep. (please don’t mind the date and time in the pictures)

At 9Am, we were awaken by the news once again that Medina’s seawall broke. Making it more dangerous since the waves were quite big too and rain hadn’t stopped.

Commuters lined up for the airconditioned bus also when we arrived at the bus terminal without breakfast. Being the first in the waiting line for the next bus and after inquiring that the next bus would leave CDO an hour away from the one were lining up, we decided to talk to the driver and conductor to let us in. Yes they let us rode on that bus. My cousin sat at the pathway and I sat at the conductor’s chair. Such a nice view. We had a first, full view of the road ahead of us. Had the opportunity to see both sides. Was very excited, t’was my first time to rode a bus in the first row, opposite the driver, actually beside the door. The Bachelor Express driver plying Cagayan de Oro – Butuan City – Surigao City was very nice as well. He talked to us all the way. We asked about his work, the company, etc. He’s a respactable man, calling us ‘Ma’am’ and not ‘dai’. A helpful man as well, when a fellow commuter wanted to sit where I was sitting, he motioned that I sat there first, no need for me to argue to the man since there’s no vacant seat at the back. Anyway.. The rivers we had passed through gave evidence that a rushing and large body of water passed through. Garbage, cut trees, trunks and leaves were gathered under the bridge. Some rivers were still large with rushing waters, that’s beyond their normal. We’ve also passed towns where homes were still partly flooded, particularly Balingasag and Talisayan. On our way to Medina, its only at Bulwa bridge along Medina highway that we were required to get down the bus and cross the bridge by foot and the bus crossing the bridge without its passengers. Adding safety to the then risky situation. Other cargo trucks were not permitted to pass through, fearing that the bridge would give way. It was only later I’ve learned that the other bridge in the inner part of Medina that which the same river runs through broke in the middle and collapsed. That’s bad! We were thankful to the kind driver who gave us a safe and fun trip. By the way, in barangay San Luis of Gingoog City, kilometers away from where we dropped off, part of a bridge collapses so it won’t be passable to big, heavy vehicles. The commuters in the bus had to get down with their things and cross the bridge by foot to the other side. They would have to ride in another bus and get another ticket from there to their destination.

Walking along Medina streets, we could still see traces of the flood. Residents cleaning their floors, washing their things, and water marks on their wall. We were glad our immediate relatives were safe though. Some of our distant cousins took shelter at the town gym or the barangay hall, which were converted to evacuation centers. At night, I had the responsibility of keeping watch over the river’s water level beside my mother’s ancestral home. On my watch, the water would rise an inch or 3 and its current would get stronger then recedes. And since we arrived at Medina, rain hadn’t stopped, until the moment I rode the same bus back to Cagayan de Oro this afternoon. The driver was kind enough to usher me a space this time, since there were still vacant seats. I got on the kind driver’s bus at Agay-ayan, Barangay San Luis already. I also went to Gingoog City after lunch, after seeing that the multicab I rode to Agay-ayan could pass through the bridge. Our former residence in Gingoog City was in knee-deep water and other areas as well. Businesses were closed and residents were also busy cleaning up their area. It was reported that water level in some parts of the city went as high as 1 meter. Ggrrr.. I’m glad the whole city was not devastated.

I’m glad to be home. The wind is so cold, I think I had fever. Though I failed to snap pictures of my trip, I intentionally left our camera for safety purposes.

It has not only become a Cagayan de Oro calamity, but of Misamis Oriental. Some parts of the province were reportedly flooded as well, towns such as Lugait, El Salvador, etc. My uncle related that a friend lost his home and all their things in the flashflood. He had only secured his family when the water washed their home along the river in the upper part of Cabug, Medina. He even saw 2 kids holding on to the shirt of their father who’s also holding two derby cocks in his hands wading the thigh-deep water. Disaster also has its humor. Hehe..

No comments: