Saturday, December 20, 2008

hands that speak

I am so full I can hardly move and so exhausted. I didn’t noticed that I had been standing and walking around for straight 6 hours. Decorating the stage, finalizing the arrangements, preparing my handmimers’ costume, practicing my lines as the program’s co-emcee and the children’s presentations narrator, not to say, I think my wits ran out of me. Can’t seem to think of any sensible thing to ad lib. But somehow, I survived. We survived.

I’m so happy with my handmimers. Two of them were late so they failed to perform and I had to make a substition in their place. Tough duty, since I’m not really familiar with their hand positions. Yet I’m glad one of my mimers guided me, he even pulled my hands down when I had mine in the wrong place and it was so obvious. I was only suppose to be their guide, see the irony. Hehe.. But anyway, I’m very proud of them. They did great, they memorized their parts and I didn’t even prompt them or need to. And instead of guiding them, it was the other way around. Pardon my actions.

Not all handmimers were under my tutelage. Yet, in the course of time, through our practices, I got to know them, talked to them, befriended them and be part of their learning milestone also. I’m glad, I’m so glad. Being part of their life, of this kids with mental retardation and learning disabilities, is a blessing in itself. This, in a way, is the nicest Christmas gift I’ve received this year. Smiling with them and exchanging high fives after our handmime performance, despite the obvious mistakes I’ve made, is the best gift I’ve received today. Thank you kids. :)

No comments: